Thursday, May 14, 2009

Time got away from me in regards to posting on the blog. I had some issues with teenagerdom that I won't go into and well.......... anyone who has them or has raised them knows about this trying stage of life.

My Mother's day weekend was pleasant. My husband fixed a nice dinner and both the boys were here with cards and chocolate for me. (I raised them well) Now that my oldest is 21 he also bought me a delicious bottle of wine and he got to have some with me.

I forgot to post yesterday with the self portraits but I have a very good excuse. I was on jury duty. I had to report to Santa Clara Superior Court on Tuesday and was immediately called up to the jury box. The initial twelve people selected had to go through all the questions and we were sometimes asked to expound on our answers. Then some were eliminated and new people were called up and they went through the questions. Then the defense attorney got to single us out and ask questions and then the DA had the same privilege. By the end of the day the jury selection process was not finished as two new people were called up and we would continue the process the next day. So yesterday I reported in and waited in the jurist room until our group was called up to the court room. When we were called all 68 of us proceeded to the courtroom only to be detained in the foyer for an hour. Standing there waiting for an hour, what the heck was going on? Finally we were called in and seated. The judge came out and announced that the defendant and the DA had reached a settlement and she thanked us for our service and said we were free to go. We were all pleasantly surprised but that didn't mean there was a champagne brunch waiting for us. Oh well where do our tax dollars go?

I'm glad I didn't have to report for jury duty today as I'm going to a concert in San Francisco tonight with some friends. It's about 1 1/2 hour drive for me and I didn't want to have to sit in court all day, drive to the city, stay up late, and then be back in court on Friday. The concert I'm going to see is Teresa Anderrson Amazing that she creates all the sound herself with live looping. I think this will be so cool to see in person!

1 comment:

Joanne Huffman said...

I've had jury duty twice (was selected once) and they always say that sometimes the defendant needs to know there's a jury ready to hear the case before they decide to plead guilty or plead to a lesser charge.

Joane