Saturday, October 17, 2009

Calm After the Storm


On Tuesday the Bay area was hit by the first storm of the season and it was a doozy! We awoke to howling winds and rain. The trees were swaying and dancing, even the "Three Sisters" as my father-in-law had named the three "Sequoia Gigantea" that he planted many years ago.

I was to pick my sister up at the airport at 11:30 and made it down the hill through San Jose. There were many downed trees and the roads were strewn with pine needles, leaves, and branches. Her flight actually landed only ten minutes late and was only a bit bumpy as it was during the lull of the storm. We were within a couple miles of my house when we discovered the road was closed due to downed power lines, many households were without power (our included). The back way to our house which part of is an unmaintained county road was iffy whether it was navigable or not and I didn't feel like finding out so we drove into Santa Cruz and ended up getting a motel room for the night.

The next day we made it home to a house still without power. Soon my husband arrived after having bought a new generator and we had enough power to run the fridge and some lights. The power was still out for another day but we were able to finally work in my studio which is the main reason Jan came to visit me, to help me work. We have managed to get several "wayward threads" stoles and scarves made up for the St. Louis show.

Today we took a break and drove to Los Altos to see the Bay Area Book Art Jam at Foothills college and to shop at Thai Silks.

Now we're home and getting ready to have a small dinner with my mother-in-law and sons (we think they'll show up).

BTW I have listed a few items on etsy for sale, more shibori and hand dyed ribbons.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I need a couple new scarves as I have been wearing the two I got at A&S all the time. What new colors do you have? I wish I had bought a green one. I am on facebook now and finding it interesting how people find each other.

Joanne Huffman said...

You and Jan should certainly have some stories about this visit. I think it's great that she's out there - is she joining you in St Louis? Have a great time together.