Friday, February 12, 2010

More on Color


When I look in my closet with eyes slightly squinted to see what colors dominate I see it's mostly gray, black, brown, taupe, olive. Then there are the colors that pop out - red and orange. I tend to play it safe with color I wear. But I do like orange and shades of red that are deep or on the earthy side such as brick, russet, and deep crimson. I usually dye fabrics colors I like but I'm trying to bust out of my comfort zone and be more colorful. I do create to sell and some people who would buy from me want more color.

When I began making the doily scarves a friend requested one in mustard. This reverts back to my previous post of naming colors. Mustard could be literally the color of the condiment mustard but I knew she meant spicy mustard or ochre so I "browned" the mustard up and it was perfect.

In the past when I've done commission work and someone said they wanted a certain color I would have them give me spools of thread of the color(s) they wanted. That way I could pretty well color match to what they wanted.

I went to Harts Fabrics last week and purchased some fabric totally out of my comfort zone. A wild and multi colored print that drew my attention. I liked a lot of pieces from this fabric line.



When I laid the fabric out on my cutting table I thought what a bright and fun table covering this would be but I'm bound and determined to turn it into a lightweight, duster jacket and embellish it with vintages fabrics, laces, and/or trims. My friend Joanne who was just here visiting termed the style of jackets she preferred as dusters and I like that term, I'm using it because it seems appropriate.

As soon as I finish creating a silk brocade top for myself and the vintage barkcloth jacket I'll start working on this piece.

4 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this beautiful fabric!

Connie said...

these ARE beautiful fabrics Lorri!...and if I were you, I would not use that GORGEOUS button on something you're going to sell - you need to save it for you!

lorrie Spotts said...

Hi Lorri, I met you this weekend at An Artful Journey...I am the Lorrie Spotts that came to your table with three others sharing the name! I saw your blog on DJ's site and thought I would pop in to say hi. I am so humored that I see your "L.A.S. Fibers" as your blog title. My blog title is "L.A.S. I am art"!! How funny is that? Nice meeting you, I am enjoying your blog and your art.

Lorrie

Weaveron Textile said...

Gorgeous! The colors are lovely. What a beautiful spot for pictures.