Thursday, April 1, 2010

CNCH 2010 next week


The Conference for Northern California Handweavers is starting next week. For several years I was part of that conference in one way or another. I entered the fashion show,chaired the fashion show a couple of years, took seminars and workshops, helped set up galleries, and even had a vendor booth one year. The last several years I have not been part of it but this year I was asked to be one of the judges of the fashion show garments. I am very excited and honored. The fashion show will take place Friday, April 9th at the Santa Clara Convention Center. I was asked to be a guest artist and submitted several of my garments to be in the show. On Saturday morning I will be one of three other judges to score the garments. The scores will decide if the garment gets a ribbon and/or a special honor. My garments will not be judged for obvious reasons and that is just fine with me.

Pictured is one outfit that I entered for the show. The vintage slip dress is hand dyed as is the ribbon rosettes (handcrafted by my friend Jennifer) and trim adorning it. The "wayward threads" stole is sewn from hand dyed vintage satin ribbon and various yarns and laces.

Obviously this garment is not handwoven. There is an ongoing debate with handweaving guilds about changing bylaws and rules of entry. The issue is that many weaving guilds are now opening themselves up to other areas of fiber related arts. Generally the weaving guilds consider spinning, dyeing, and weaving to be part of this art genre. But many weavers also dabble in other fiber arts or go onto to something different such as quilting, wearable art, knitting, and felting. To not lose membership and to keep the guilds alive they are beginning to accept the group as all fiber arts and not specifically weaving. Then again there are those who think it should be strictly weaving related, and quilters should be a separate group, as should knitters and crocheters. It gets tricky walking this line and trying to satisfy everyone.

If you live in the area and want to attend I believe you can find information about that at the website for CNCH. There are also many exhibits along with vendors and you may want to visit on other days and times that the conference is being held.


2 comments:

Jomama said...

What a lovely shawl!

Joanne Huffman said...

Beautiful outfit. Wish I could attend.