Thursday, August 23, 2012

Vintage Finds

When I posted about the hot weather we were having and that I was going into Santa Cruz where it was cool I ended up spending the day perusing the antique shops.  It was 101 degrees when I left my house and drove down the hill about 16 miles to Santa Cruz where it was 73 degrees.  That much difference being close to the ocean where the fog and sea breezes keep the climate temperate.

I visited shops in the town of Soquel - Center Street, Traders Emporium, the best little shop next to Traders I forget the name of (duh, I've been in there a lot and met one of the dealers named Marsha who I took to immediately.  She is a wealth of information and talented too!).  I next visited Soquel Village Antiques and saw a woman behind the counter going through a box of vintage ribbons.  She was measuring the yardage and pricing them.  It was a big box of millinery supplies from the 1940's.  She had just begun rifling through the items and only had a few priced and displayed.  I immediately purchased some ribbon rolls and then she brought out small boxes of shiny, beautiful embroidery floss.  I was anxious to see more but she needed to go through it all in a timely manner so I said I would return in a few days.  Here's what I purchased that day.  These will be perfect to use in my upcycled clothing and accessories.





When I returned a few days later there were a few more items displayed and I was able to meet with her again and look at a few more items.  I had to have a sweet ribbon of vintage flowers and some lovely metallic laced trims.





I may have overindulged but it's not often I find vintage items of this quality for reasonable prices.  


3 comments: